The initiative is being implemented by Resources Oriented Development Initiatives (RODI) Kenya, through technical and financial support from Global Fund for community Foundations (GFCF).
The intervention is based on the lessons learned during RODI resource mobilisation efforts for human rights work and the need to engage local communities to take part in designing and exercising power in addressing their social and human rights issues through local resource Mobilization. The initiative aims at building a constituency of local resource providers for human rights work at the local level while strengthening community philanthropy interventions.
The initiative is be purposed to institutional development and strengthening as well as piloting strategic initiatives in community philanthropy for social and human rights work. The initiative mainly focuses on:
- Strengthening RODI capacity, systems and institutional culture in regard to community philanthropy and local resource mobilization.
- Community philanthropy interventions/initiatives to move the agenda of community philanthropy, shift mindset and attitude change in community philanthropy as well as build trust, relationship and accountability within community
- Supporting participatory resource mobilisation and community giving around implementation of community development initiatives and addressing human rights issues.
- Monitoring and documentation to share success stories and best practices on community philanthropy e/g. successful models in community philanthropy and giving for change
The initiative supports communities in re-construction of community philanthropy and building trust, relationship and accountability in community giving. In addition, the initiative also helps community to strengthen communities of practice in giving for change, understanding social and human rights issues and claiming their rights while collaborating closely with the actors in the community philanthropy for learning and sharing working models and good practices in community philanthropy.
RODI ensures that it responds to the needs and priorities of the community through engagement of target population through participatory approaches in resource mapping, needs identification, intervention planning, implementation and learning.
The initiave aims to achieve the following outcomes:
- Communities of practice build around community philanthropy and local resource mobilisation
- Community philanthropy ambassadors capacity strengthened for sustainability in giving for change and development.
- Enhanced community engagement and support in giving for change and development
- Community Development initiatives done with support of community giving
- organisational systems and structures in community philanthropy and local resource mobilisation strengthened
- Improved documentation and learning among communities of practice