In 2022, RODI conduted an organisational development to establish the milestones in organisational growth as well as identify areas of organizational development and capacity-building. The assessment employed a cross-sectional study design composed of in-depth interviews, Focus Group Discussions (FGDs), and documents review. The primary data collection targeted RODI Kenya management and staff. The secondary data, on the other hand, was extracted from the organization’s policies, program reports, monitoring tools, and instruments as well as program reports.
The RODI Kenya’s Organizational Capacity Assessment (OCA) covered various organizational elements: Organisation identity and philosophy; leadership, governance, and strategy; organizational management; adaptive capacity; Program operations, and financial management.
The OCA reveals several positive points as well as several areas of improvement (points of attention). The key findings are thus:
- RODI Kenya has a clear vision and mission statement as well as values and is duly registered as an NGO with the Kenya NGO Coordination Board under section 10 of the Non-Governmental Organisation Coordination Act (218/051/97147/99 the organization has clear thematic and geographic.
- The organization was observed to have an elaborate governance structure that formulates policies and provides oversight over the management; the structure mainly consisted of the Executive Management Board (EMB). The board committees were observed to be in place. The review observed a relatively diversified board with requisite skills and qualifications. The board has clear tenure documented in the Board Charter.
- Concerning the organization strategy, RODI Kenya has a strategic plan for the period 2020-2024. The review of the strategic plan was conducted in 2021. The strategy is operationalized through periodic program documents and work plans. The assessment recommends that RODI Kenya publishes and widely shares the strategic plan among the stakeholders. There is also a need to finalize and widely share the Institution Theory of Change; this should be part of the published Strategic Plan.
- Regarding adaptive capacity, RODI Kenya demonstrates good knowledge of its operating context, this is informed by participating in relevant forums and network updates. The organization also conducts regular staff reflection sessions during which staff share experiences as well as provide feedback on the projects. The organization demonstrates effort towards achieving visibility; this includes the use of social media platforms as well as IEC materials.
- Regarding organization resource management, RODI Kenya has documented most of the key policy documents to give direction to the organization resource control and management.
- The assessment also established a good match between staff responsibilities and staff qualifications.
- Regarding program management, the study observed a track record in implementing food security and prisons reforms programmes, the study also established an integrated planning process at RODI Kenya. RODI Kenya work plans are organized according to key change promises/ focus areas which are key for result-based management.
- On financial management, the review observed adequate planning and budgeting practices complemented by finance staff with sufficient qualifications and experience. The policy environment was observed to be sufficient. The organization has a strong donor base that currently supports the running of the current programs. The total income for the year 2021 is estimated to be around KS 47M to 55M. The organization has adequate resource mobilization capacities within the organization that contributed to the proposal’s development process.